What is a Canadian TRV
A Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is a document issued by the Government of Canada that allows foreign nationals to enter Canada for a temporary period. It is also commonly referred to as a Canadian visitor visa or a Canadian tourist visa. The TRV is typically stamped or affixed to the passport of the individual and indicates their eligibility to travel to and stay in Canada for a specific duration.
The purpose of a Canadian TRV is to regulate the entry of foreign nationals into Canada and ensure that they meet the requirements set by the Canadian immigration authorities. It is important to note that a Canadian TRV does not provide the holder with the right to work or study in Canada unless they obtain additional authorization, such as a work permit or study permit.
What is a CAN+ TRV
The CAN+ TRV is a program designed to expedite the processing of Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) applications for low-risk travelers from certain countries. There are criteria you must meet in order to be eligible and it means your application will be processed much faster to enable you to travel sooner.
How do I know that my application can be processed under CAN+?
In order to be eligible for the CAN+ program you must have:
- Been issued a Canadian visa and show that you travelled to Canada in the past 10 years
- Currently hold a valid US non-immigrant visa
If you meet either of these criteria then your application will automatically go for expedited processing by the Canadian visa application centre.
What application form should I use?
The application form is exactly the same for a CAN+ as it is for a standard TRV. The most important factor when applying is that you show proof of all your stamps in your passport and all your previous visas. Be sure to fill your application form (imm5257) accurately and honestly making sure you validate it before uploading it into your portal.
Make sure you check your document checklist as every country has their own requirements. Applicants from some countries may be required to submit a police report.
If you qualify for a CAN+ TRV expedited processing then you must still meet the requirements of the officer when they review the application;
- satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay,
- show that you have enough money to maintain yourself and your family members in Canada and to return home,
- not intend to work or study in Canada unless authorized to do so,
- be law abiding and have no record of criminal activity,
- not be a risk to the security of Canada,
- provide any additional document requested by the officer to establish your admissibility, and
- be in good health (complete a medical examination if required).
If all the requirements listed above are met and you have travelled to Canada in the past 10 years on a Canadian TRV or you hold a current valid US non-immigrant visa then your application should be processed on an expedited basis and you can expect to get a decision on your application in under 3-4 weeks providing there are no extenuating circumstances that may hinder that.
Call our office for a consultation to see if you are eligible.