Student Direct Stream (SDS)
If you are an international student looking to study in Canada, the Student Direct Stream (SDS) program could be the answer you are looking for.
The Student Direct Stream (SDS) program is a Canadian government initiative that streamlines the process of obtaining a study permit for international students from eligible countries. The program offers several benefits to eligible students, including faster processing times, a simplified application process, and reduced financial burden.
Important facts about Student Direct Stream
- Student Direct Stream (SDS) may allow for faster processing times depending on your country of residence.
- SDS applications are typically processed within 20 calendar days, but some may take longer.
- To qualify for faster processing, applicants must provide their biometrics promptly and meet all eligibility requirements.
- A study permit is not a visa and may require a visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA) to enter Canada, which will be issued with the study permit if needed.
Eligibility for the SDS program
To be eligible for the Student Direct Stream (SDS), you must:
- Be a legal resident of one of the eligible countries, including Antigua and Barbuda, Brazil, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Morocco, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Senegal, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, or Vietnam.
- Have an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada.
- Live outside of Canada when you apply.
- Have proof of payment for the first year of tuition fees.
- Have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAD $10,000.
- Have an attestation of issuance of your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) from the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration if you plan to study in Quebec.
- Complete an upfront medical exam (if required).
- Obtain a police certificate (if required).
- Provide your most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s).
- Meet the language requirements for your chosen program of study, which may include providing proof of English or French language proficiency.
- Additional documents may be required depending on where you are applying from.
- If additional documents are required, the processing time for your application will be longer.
Benefits of applying through the SDS program
The SDS program offers several benefits for international students who are looking to study in Canada. Here are some of the advantages of applying through this program:
Faster processing times
- Applicants can expect to receive a decision within 20 calendar days, compared to the standard processing time of up to 16 weeks.
- This faster processing time means that students can plan their travel and accommodation in Canada more effectively and start their studies sooner.
Simplified application process
- The SDS program streamlines the application process, making it easier and faster for students to complete their applications.
- Applicants are required to provide fewer documents upfront, which reduces the time and effort required to prepare the application.
Reduced financial burden
- The SDS program requires applicants to provide proof of payment for the first year of tuition fees and a GIC of CAD $10,000 to cover living expenses.
- This helps to reduce the overall cost of studying in Canada, as students can avoid having to pay the entire cost of their tuition and living expenses in a single payment.
Improved job prospects
- Canada offers excellent job prospects for international students after graduation.
- By studying in Canada, students can gain valuable work experience and develop the skills that Canadian employers are looking for.
- The SDS program makes it easier for international students to take advantage of these opportunities, as it ensures that they have a streamlined application process and faster processing times.
Before you apply
- Apply online to get faster processing for your study permit
- No paper application for the Student Direct Stream
- Include all required documents with your application
- Have an instruction guide to fill out your forms
- Have a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents
- Have a valid credit or debit card to make a payment
- In most cases, you need to give your biometrics. You should pay the biometric fee when you submit your application online. If you don’t pay this fee, we may not be able to process your application faster.
How to apply for the SDS program
The application process for the SDS program is straightforward and can be completed online. Here are the steps that international students need to follow to apply for the SDS program:
- Check if they are eligible for the program by reviewing the criteria mentioned above.
- Apply for admission to a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada.
- Obtain proof of payment for the first year of tuition fees and a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAD $10,000 to cover living expenses in Canada.
- Complete an upfront medical exam and meet the language requirements for their chosen program of study.
- Submit the SDS application online, along with the required documents and fees.
- Wait for the decision on their application, which usually takes 20 calendar days.
Why apply through the SDS program?
The SDS program offers several benefits for international students who are looking to study in Canada. Here are some of the reasons why students should consider applying through this program:
- Faster processing times: The SDS program offers faster processing times, which means that students can start their studies in Canada sooner and avoid delays in their plans.
- Simplified application process: The SDS program streamlines the application process and requires fewer documents upfront, making it easier and faster for students to complete their applications.
- Reduced financial burden: The SDS program requires proof of payment for the first year of tuition fees and a GIC of CAD $10,000 to cover living expenses, which can help reduce the overall cost of studying in Canada.
- Improved job prospects: Canada offers excellent job prospects for international students after graduation, and the SDS program makes it easier for students to take advantage of these opportunities.
- Access to a high-quality education: Canada is known for offering high-quality education, and the SDS program makes it easier for international students to access this education.
After you apply
- Applicants will receive a letter asking them to provide biometrics within 30 days after paying their fees and submitting their application.
- The letter and a valid passport are required to give biometrics.
- Applicants must pay the biometrics fee first before receiving the instruction letter.
- If the applicant meets the eligibility for the Student Direct Stream, their study permit application will be processed within 20 calendar days after receiving their biometrics.
- Applications that do not meet the eligibility for the Student Direct Stream will be reviewed as a regular study permit application, which may take longer to process.
- If the application is approved, the applicant will receive a port of entry letter of introduction and either an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa.
- eTA will be linked electronically to the applicant’s passport and valid for 5 years or until the passport expires.
- Applicants requiring a visitor visa must send their passport to the nearest visa office and enter Canada before their visa expires.
- A border officer will check documents and print the study permit if everything is in order.
- The study permit is normally valid until the end of the applicant’s school program.
- If the passport expires before the program ends, the permit will only be valid until the passport’s expiry date.
- Credit cards and prepaid cards from Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, and UnionPay are accepted for online applications.
- Visa Debit cards are also accepted and can be under someone else’s name.
The Student Direct Stream (SDS) program is an excellent opportunity for international students who are looking to study in Canada. It offers several benefits, including faster processing times, a simplified application process, and reduced financial burden. By applying through the SDS program, students can take advantage of these benefits and access a high-quality education in Canada.
Learn more at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/student-direct-stream/apply.html