IRCC will likely start accepting the scores from Pearson Test of English (PTE) Essential English test
As of February 2, 2023, IRCC, has given the green light for the Pearson Test of English (PTE) and it is likely to be accepted as a language-testing organization for economic class applicant applications, making it one of three English language tests, along with IELTS and CELPIP in late 2023.
The newest language test is called PTE Essential, for proof of English language proficiency.
What is PTE Essential
- PTE Essential is a new version similar to the Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic) but it has a more practical, real-life, and non-academic focus that meets IRCC’s language proficiency standards
- It is designed for applicants who must provide proof of English language proficiency for Canadian permanent residency or citizenship
- PTE Essential is a fully digital test delivered through Pearson VUE, the computer-based testing business of Pearson
- PTE Essential uses AI technology for scoring, biometric data collection provides enhanced security measures and voice recognition software is applied for the speaking element of the test, which makes it highly accurate
- Test takers can book online up to 24 hours in advance
- Results typically available in 48 hours
- Administered by Pearson Canada Inc.
- You may reschedule or cancel your appointment at any time
About PTE Tests
- Different writing tasks
- Frequent test dates
- No need to speak to an examiner – completed via computer
- Unbiased results
- Single test session (2 hours)
- You can send your score to as many institutions as you like, free of charge
- Scored practice tests
About the Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)
- Two hours long test
- Single test session
- 20 question types
- PTE Academic is a computer-based test
- Test center environment is secure and friendly
- Tests language skills in:
- Speaking and Writing
How to prepare
- Understand your current English proficiency level, and the PTE score you need to achieve.
- Know the test format
- What skills are tested
- Choose your preparation resources
- Practice speaking, writing and listening English
- Enroll in free courses which you can find here https://www.pearsonpte.com/preparation/courses
- Have your ID on test day because your identity will be checked against your ID document
- When taking the test Ensure your personal details are accurate
Pearson Canada Inc.
Pearson was founded in 1844 by Samuel Pearson in Yorkshire, England.
Andy Bird, CEO, Pearson, said: “At Pearson, we see every day how English skills can transform lives. We’ve already seen how PTE Academic can help people take a huge stride towards being themselves in English in whichever country they choose to work or study. I’m delighted PTE Essential is now accepted in Canada for economic visas and proud of the innovation and rigor that sits behind the quick and high-quality experience our test provides to test takers.”
Predict your expected score
The most effective way to estimate your test score is to take a Scored Practice Test. This practice test replicates the actual test format and content and lasts for three hours. Taking this practice test will give you an idea of your expected overall score and also help you identify your strengths and weaknesses, allowing you to focus your study plan accordingly.
You can find the practice test here https://www.pearsonpte.com/preparation/practice-tests
Where to find PTE tests?
You can find and book the test at the official Pearson Canada Inc. website for PTE tests: https://www.pearsonpte.com/
Designated language-testing organizations
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
- Administered by
- Paragon Testing Enterprises Inc.
Two tests: CELPIP-General (CELPIP-G) and CELPIP-General – Listening and Speaking (CELPIP-G LS)
- CELPIP-G test is accepted by IRCC for immigration and citizenship purposes
- CELPIP-G LS test is accepted by IRCC for citizenship purposes only
NOTE: the General-LS is not accepted for Express Entry
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Administered by:
- Cambridge Assessment English
- International Development Program (IDP) Australia
- British Council
NOTE: the Academic option is not accepted for Express Entry
- Pearson’s Test of English (PTE) Essential
- Administered by Pearson Canada Inc.
Language testing—Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)
In order to demonstrate your language proficiency, you must take and pass an approved language test. To meet this requirement, you must:
- Schedule the test with an IRCC-approved agency and cover the associated costs.
- Enter the test results into your Express Entry profile and provide your Personal Information Number if requested.
- If you receive an invitation to apply, be sure to include the language test results with your application. Failure to do so will result in the application not being processed.
NOTE: Don’t ask for your language test results to be sent directly to IRCC, instead send your results with your complete application and keep the original test in a safe place because it may be requested later in the process
What happens next
The test results will be used as proof of your language skills.
Your test results must be valid (less than two years old) when you:
- complete your Express Entry profile
- apply for permanent residence
NOTE: It is important to ensure that both your Express Entry profile and language test results remain valid for the same time period, which is 12 months. In case your language test results are about to expire, you should retake the test and update your Express Entry profile with the updated results.
To immigrate to Canada through an economic class, you must take a language test approved by IRCC and get a certain score on it. The leading pathways are the Provincial Nominee Program and Express Entry. Other programs have different requirements. For some programs, like the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you need to score at least 7 in writing, reading, listening, and speaking. For other programs, a lower score is enough. If you score higher, you can get more points in programs managed through Express Entry and provincial systems.