If you have been thinking of renewing your PR card lately, you may be shocked by the current processing time.
If you are applying to renew your PR card, replacing a stolen card, or never received your first PR card, then current processing time is now 299 days. That’s right – nearly a year just to be able to leave and re-enter Canada.
Now that vacation and other discretionary travel is not considered a valid reason to request urgent processing of a PR card application, there are only a few reasons that will allow you to bypass this crazy processing time with urgent processing:
- Applicant’s serious illness
- Applicant’s job opportunity
- Applicant’s current job, including
- Proof of PR status to continue working
- Mandatory travel for work
- Serious illness of the applicant’s family member
- Death of an applicant’s family member
Depending on the circumstances, other grounds for urgent processing may be considered.
With processing times being so long, an increased number of people are likely to need urgent processing just to have their PR cards in time for a business trip or medical treatment that was planned months ago.
Contact us if you need to renew your PR card urgently.