There are various procedures you can follow to apply for opportunities in Canada if you are interested in getting foreign experience. Start by clarifying why you wish to pursue foreign experience in Canada and identifying your purpose. Are you seeking an educational program, a volunteer position, a cultural exchange, or an internship? Knowing your mission will help you find opportunities that are relevant to it. Make research on Canadian programs and different international experiences in Canada, considering factors such as duration, costs, and the type of offer they have. To work and travel in Canada, you need a Canadian visa, so depending on your nationality and duration, you may need a visitor visa or work permit to enter Canada. Documentation, which is required, includes your passport, educational transcripts, language proficiency test results, letter of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Important and necessary is your health insurance too. In case of unexpected medical expenses or emergencies, you must be protected because medical costs can be high in Canada.
Do you want to work while studying in Canada?
Youth can travel and work in Canada for up to 2 years through International Experience Canada (IEC). A series of initiatives known as International Experience Canada (IEC) allow young people from member nations to visit Canada temporarily to live and work there. If a foreign person completes one of the IEC programs successfully, they will be qualified to apply for a work permit in Canada without the need for a Labour Market Impact Assessment(LMIA). With the acceptance of work permits, IEC permits temporary stays in Canada for a maximum of one year.
Three separate employment and travel opportunities are available:
1. Working Holiday is a Canadian work visa you receive under the international co-op (internship) category that is tailored to your field of study.
You belong in this category if:
*There isn’t a job offer for you.
*You wish to work in Canada for more than one company.
*You’d like to make some money so that you can travel, so you want to work in several places.
2. Young Professionals is a Canadian employer-specific work permit you can receive if you fall under the Young Professionals category.
*You belong in this category if you’ve received a job offer in Canada that will advance your career.
*Throughout your time in Canada, you will continue to work for the same company in the same place.
Under this heading, the task must be self-employed but paid
3.International Co-op is a Canadian work visa you receive under the international co-op (internship) category that is tailored to your field of study.
You belong in this category if:
*You are a student enrolled in a post-secondary institution who has been offered a job for a work placement or internship in Canada.
*You must accept this job offer to continue your studies.
*During your time in Canada, you will work for the same employer in the same area.
IEC Application Procedure
1. Make an IEC profile as the first step. A foreign individual may register on the IEC website after confirming that their nation is a member of the organization and choosing their desired program. When a user registers, their account is automatically added to the IEC pool of applicants, provided they match the qualifying requirements.
2. Obtain an application invitation The IEC conducts random draws for IEC candidates on a regular basis. An applicant will receive an invitation to apply, which permits them to go to stage three if they are chosen in a draw. Candidates should check their country’s quotas to better evaluate their chances of receiving an invitation to apply because quotas differ per program and by country.
3. Accept the Request for Applications. A candidate has ten days to accept an invitation to apply if they receive one. Following acceptance, clients have 20 days to complete an online work permit application. In the event that a candidate declines an invitation, their name will be returned to the applicant pool, and they will still be given consideration in subsequent draws.
4. Submit Work Permit Application. A foreign national has 20 days from the time they accept an invitation to apply for a work permit online through the IRCC website. To ensure they will have enough time to prepare their application, applicants should study the documentation requirements in advance.
5. Approved. If a request is approved, the applicant will be informed of the validity of their work authorization and given confirmation of their work permit.
International Experience Canada periodically holds draws. Each of the three IEC programs has different quotas, and country-based program-based quotas are also different. It is important to visit the International Experience Canada website to check the precise program quotas for each country in order to assess your chances of success through one of the IEC programs. IEC often updates their webpage on Fridays with information regarding fresh draws.