Amazing news for PR applicants – As of September 15, 2020, Service Canada centres are gradually resuming biometrics collection services for PR applicants who have received a biometric instruction letter.
How To Give Biometrics
- You can ONLY give Biometrics at Service Canada if you are a PR applicant AND
- You have received a biometric instruction letter (telling you to provide biometrics) AND
- An Officer calls you to schedule an appointment for you to give your biometrics at Service Canada
You cannot provide your biometrics inside Canada until an officer calls you to schedule an appointment.
- Do not go to the port of entry (Canadian border) to provide biometrics
- Do not call the Service Canada call centre
- Biometrics collection centres outside Canada are also opening gradually – check the VAC nearest you to see if they are open if you are outside Canada
How Soon Can You Give Biometrics?
Service Canada is calling people to give biometrics based on two factors:
- How long ago they applied for PR
- Where they live
Those who have been waiting the longest will be contacted first. Applicants who live in a highly populated area such as greater Toronto or Vancouver will take longer to receive an appointment based on how many applicants need to give biometrics.
What Happens When Service Canada Calls?
When Service Canada calls you, you will have to provide them with the following information:
- Your IRCC application number (located on your biometrics instruction letter)
- Preferred appointment location
- Preferred appointment time based on availability.
If you applied for PR using an immigration consultant or lawyer, and their phone number is listed with IRCC as the phone number on file for the application, Service Canada will call your consultant or lawyer rather than calling you directly. You can update or change the phone number on file with IRCC by submitting a Case Specific Enquiry webform.
Who Has To Give Biometrics?
Inside Canada, only applicants for PR are currently required to give biometrics. Applicants for temporary residence such as a work or study permit are still exempt from giving biometrics.
Deadlines to provide biometrics have been extended indefinitely – regardless of the deadline on a biometrics instruction letter, no application for PR will be refused due to the applicant’s inability to provide biometrics by that deadline regardless of whether it is 30 or 90 days.
Who Cannot Give Biometrics?
The following individuals will not be allowed to give biometrics:
- symptoms of COVID-19, including a fever, a cough or difficulty breathing
- had contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the past 14 days
- been instructed by local public health authorities to self-isolate due to travel or contact history
Contact Us if you have questions about applying for PR during covid-19.