Most international students studying in Canada are eligible to work in Canada under the post graduate work permit program (PGWP). However, not all institutions or programs are eligible for the PGWP.
Which institutions are eligible?
To become eligible for the post graduate work permit, a student must be able to exhibit that they have studied at one of the following designated learning institutions in Canada:
- A public post-secondary institution. These include:
- A college,
- A trade or technical school,
- A university, or
- CEPEG (Quebec).
- a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions in Quebec
- a private or public secondary or post-secondary institution in Quebec offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to
- a diploma of vocational studies (DVS)
- an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS)
- a Canadian, private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees, such as an associate, bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree, but only if the student is enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree, as authorized by the province, which may not include all programs of study offered by the private institution.
Are there any programs not eligible for PGWP?
There are a number or programs operated by DLIs and other institutions, but not all are eligible for PGWP. Here are those that aren’t eligible:
- an English as a second language or French as a second language course or program of study,
- general interest or self-improvement courses, or
- a course or program of study at a private career college.
What if my DLI loses its eligibility?
If the DLI has lost its eligibility for the PGWP program, you may choose to transfer to another institute that is eligible or continue to study at the current institute to complete your study program. You may continue to meet the eligibility requirements of PGWP despite the loss of the status by the institute if you continue to meet the remaining requirements of the program and meet the conditions of the study permit.
To know more about Post Graduate Work Permits, read our post here.
Are you looking to apply for a post graduate work permit? Speak with us today.