UPDATE: Details of Special Immigration Measures for Ukrainians Announced March 17 – details available here
IRCC Special Programs To Assist Ukraine Nationals in Immigration to Canada
Today, March 3, 2022, Canada has just announced plans for resettlement of Ukrainian nationals to Canada in response to the Russian invasion. Details of the application process are going to be released within two weeks. Additional information will be posted here as it is announced by the Canadian government.
Important points from the announcement:
For Ukrainians who want to come to Canada temporarily, we will create a Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel, available for individuals fleeing Ukraine.
- There will be no cap on the number of Ukrainian nationals who can apply for the special visa to Canada
- The new pathway will eliminate the normal visa requirements for Ukrainians
- All Ukrainian nationals, regardless of location, will be able to apply to come to Canada
- Security and criminal background checks will still be required
- Ukrainians in Canada via the new pathway will be able to extend their stay inside Canada for up to 2 years
Unrelated to this new pathway, Canada is also going to allow Ukrainian nationals currently inside Canada to apply for open work permits or study permits.
All other applications to come to Canada made by Ukrainian nationals or residents will continue to be prioritized by IRCC.
For more details about the announcement from IRCC, click here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2022/03/canada-to-welcome-those-fleeing-the-war-in-ukraine.html
If you’re outside of Ukraine and need urgent protection as a refugee, contact the nearest office of the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR).