Being self-employed is part of the American dream for lots of people. If you have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics and are willing and able to make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of everyone around you, Canada has an immigration program just for you.
What is the Self-Employed Persons Program?
If you have more than 2 years of experience in the last 5 years in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level, this program gives you the opportunity to migrate to Canada and work for yourself.
What are Cultural or Athletic Activities?
Cultural activities include jobs generally seen as part of Canada’s artistic and cultural fields. Examples include:
- authors and writers,
- creative and performing artists,
- sculptors and other visual artists,
- technical support and other jobs in motion pictures,
- creative designers and
- social media influencers
Athletics would include sports players (except coaches) who have a globally well known standing and would like to contribute to the athletics field of Canada.
What Are the Eligibility Requirements for the Self-Employed Category?
Canada invites you to apply under the Self-Employed Persons Program if you meet the following criteria:
- Have 2 or more years of experience as self-employed in the cultural or athletic fields, OR
- Have 2 or more years of world class experience in cultural activities or athletics, in the last 5 years. Having up to 5 years of experience gets you more points.
- OR a combination of the two
- Receive a minimum of 35 points in the selection criteria below.
You must also be financially able and also willing to support yourself immediately once you arrive in Canada. That’s it for the mandatory requirements!
You increase your points which correlates to the likelihood of your receiving an invitation to apply for PR with these criteria:
- Work Experience: you only need a minimum of 2 years to apply, but 5 years will give you the most points;
- Age: you get the maximum points if you are between 21 and 49 years of age;
- Education: more degrees = more points;
- Language proficiency: you do not need to speak English or French at all to be eligible to apply for this program, but your language ability will gain you more points;
- Adaptability: things like your spouse’s education and having relatives in Canada will also give you points
How much do I need to invest?
Unlike the entrepreneur immigration programs, there is no minimum net worth requirement to be eligible for this program. However, you will need to have enough money to:
- settle in Canada with your dependents and
- be able to finance the work that you intended to start in Canada.
Can I bring my family to Canada under the Self-Employed Immigration Program?
Yes! If selected for the program, you and your family will be given permanent residency, allowing you to live and work anywhere in Canada.
If you’re an athlete or cultural contributor, contact us to learn more about the self-employed immigration program.