Temporary Residence to Permanent Residence Pathway – Work Permit Update
On May 6th 2021, IRCC created a new pathway to permanent residence that opened the door for 90,000 temporary residents who are legally employed in a variety of ‘essential worker’ positions or are newly graduated students.
While this was a boon for thousands of applicants in Canada, it had a fatal flaw: No option for a Bridging Open Work Permit. Unfortunately, if an individual’s work permit was due to expire after they had submitted their PR application, they were not permitted to apply for a BOWP the way other PR applicants are. The expiring workers’ only option was to change their status from ‘worker’ to visitor’ in order to maintain status in Canada until a decision could be made on their PR application.
This affected many PR applicants negatively as it meant they could not work while their application was in process.
Today, July 15th 2021, IRCC has now implemented a public policy to amend this issue.
Beginning July 26th 2021, individuals who have applied for the Temporary Residence to Permanent Residence pathway can now apply for an open work permit while awaiting a decision on their application!
TR To PR Work Permit Application Requirements
To apply for the TR to PR Pathway Work permit, Applicants must:
- have successfully submitted an application under one of the new permanent residence pathway’s streams
- held a valid work permit, or were authorized to work without a work permit, at the time their permanent residence application was submitted
- hold a valid work permit that is set to expire within the next 4 months
- have temporary resident status, maintained status or are eligible to restore their status at the time their open work permit application is submitted
- be in Canada at the time their open work permit application is submitted
- have been employed in any occupation at the time their permanent residence application was submitted
- meet the language requirements of the stream under which they applied at the time their permanent residence application was submitted
This program and its requirements are extended to include any spouse or dependents of the principal applicant.
At this time all we know in regards to submission is the work permit application will be submitted online and the work permits will be valid until December 31st 2022.
The IRCC plans to release further instructions on how to submit on July 26th 2021.