Immigration to Canada from the US

Moving to Canada from the US

If you’re concerned about the direction the US is heading given the 2016 election results, you aren’t the only one.

There are many ways for US citizens to immigrate to Canada either temporarily or permanently

As a US citizen, you may be eligible for an Internatonnal Mobility or NAFTA work permit, which may be LMIA exempt, and is issued upon your entry at the Canadian border.

If your company already has a branch in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for a work permit in Canada as an Intracompany Transferee.

If you have a job offer from a Canadian company, that company can obtain permission from the government to hire you as a foreign worker through a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

Another path to residence in Canada is through education at a college or university on the Designated Learning Institutions List. After completing a program as short as eight months in length, you can get a post-graduate work permit and begin down the path toward permanent residence in Canada.

If one of your parents was a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth, you are also a Canadian citizen through descent. After you receive proof of your Canadian citizenship, you can get your Canadian passport and work, study, or live in Canada at any time.

Have a question?

Not sure if you meet the requirements to move to Canada?

Ask the Experts

Have questions about your future in Canada, how to sponsor a family member, or Canadian immigration in general?

Send us your question and we’ll respond to you right away.


The North American Free Trade Agreement more commonly known as NAFTA is an international trade agreement between Canada, the United States (including District of Columbia and Puerto Rico) and Mexico.

This agreement includes options for nationals of all 3 participating countries to enter each country as a business visitor, entrepreneur, or foreign worker in certain occupations provided the individual meets all of the eligibility requirements.

There are currently more than 60 occupations that are eligible under NAFTA. Each occupation has a different set of criteria including a written job offer (LMIA exempt) from a Canadian employer.

For example, ‘Accountant’ is an eligible occupation under the NAFTA program. The individual must have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura degree or C.P.A, C.A, C.G.A or CMA.

‘Graphic Designer’ is also an eligible occupation under the NAFTA program. The individual must have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura degree OR post-secondary diploma/certificate AND a minimum of 3 years’ experience in this occupation.

As previously stated, applicants must already have a written job offer from a Canadian employer. This means that the Canadian employer has offered the applicant a position in the respective occupation and have also paid the employer compliance fee to IRCC.

Learn More ~ 1-416-827-8778​

Call or email us to schedule a one-hour consultation to assess the best path for you to work, study, or live in Canada.

For our American friends, we are happy to offer a discounted consultation fee of USD$175 – tax free because you are outside Canada!

We are also happy to credit this fee to you if you decide to retain our services.

All information on this website is accurate as of the date of publication. Doherty Fultz Immigration Inc. (DFI) is not liable for any action taken without retaining DFI as legal representative or without express instruction from DFI.